Monday, May 11, 2009

Farewell and Adu: Wrapping up the semester, via photos

A few hours ago I walked out of my African Traditional Religions classroom and became a free man. I am officially done with all academics here in Botswana, and thus I have finished my junior year of college!
It is a great feeling.
I am also less than 3 days from leaving Botswana and making the long journey back to the US. After 3 flights and two train rides, I will be arriving in Fairfield sometime Friday afternoon, around 30 hours after I leave Botswana. It will be a long day. Lets hope for good plane food.
So, this will be my last blog from Botswana. To wrap up the blog and reward you for spending time each week (or less often, I'm not sure how devoted you are), this blog will be a photo journey through my time here.
I hope you enjoy it.
And I have no idea how this blog has over 2600 views. Thanks everyone.
See you back in the US (unless you're from Botswana, in which case, goodbye!)

The first picture I took in Botswana right when I got off the plane:


This is a bunch of us in the airport that first day (a few pictures here are from Batsi, our program director, like this one. I will cite him whenever necessary)


The University of Botswana!!


Max and I looking thrilled to be there. While the first week or two were slightly rough, the next few months were great. (Batsi)


Here is the entire group of us, plus three UB students who were there to help us out. I think this is one of the few picture of all 12 of us. (Batsi)


View from Kgali hill.


All of us, minus Carlos, on top. (Batsi)


Cute kids.


Cliff paintings.


Our first elephants!!!


Chatting with the kgosi (chief) of Tlokweng. The statue in the background is of the Kgosi of Gaborone, who gave the government all the land for the capital. (Batsi)


Strikers marching.


Me leading children in song and dance.


Broken glass from rioters. This was Rebecca and Maggie's apartment.


Hehehehe.


Monkeys in the Okavango Delta.


Zebras looking awesome (Batsi)


Wildebeest


Leopard showing some fierce teeth (Batsi)


Giraffe.


Fish Eagle (Batsi)


Best sunset of all time


Elephant crossing on the way to Kasane.


Max hugging the giant baobab tree in Kasane.


Elephant


Elephants swimming.


Oh Botswana.


My house in Mochudi!!


And my host mom and grandma!!


Max and I became amazing chiefs this semester, making a wide range of cuisine. This particular piece is a fried chicken (we fried it ourselves), cheese, bacon, and mayo sandwich, toasted. Amazing.


Mozambique man.


Tofo, Mozambique.


One of my favorite pictures.


Palm trees in Mozambique.


Johannesburg, the safest city in the world (just kidding, it's the least safe)


Victoria Falls!


More falls!


The Zambezi River.


The University of Botswana


More UB.


Sunset over Gaborone, with the mosque across from the university


Thanks for reading over the past 4 months everyone. I have had an amazing experience here in Botswana and I hope you enjoyed reading about my life.
I am quite excited to return to the US, so I'll see you soon.
Farewell!

4 comments:

  1. Jeremy:

    I am glad this semester has amounted to such greatness. Your semester was indubitably (sp? someone once told me you shouldn't use words you can't spell...) an amazing time and I have to imagine that six months from now your Nostalgia Index (TM)(R) will be quite high. Thanks for keeping me entertained throughout the semester - a great blog; we already knew you were a fine writer and the photography has been great as well. Alright enough of that; enjoy the return home! I find that many speculate that the return home will be no good, but I contend that we'll make it good. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss your blogs and will never forget them. I am sure you have mixed feelings about leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I found your blog online when I was looking for Americans who had been to Botswana. I have a job offer in Gaborone but am currently living in MN. I'm not sure that I want to move to Botswana & would like to talk to someone about their experience. If you wouldn't mind chatting about your experience, you can email me at bobbileba@yahoo.com.

    Thanks!
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonetheless, there are some essential factors that need considering before making any
    selection. The Decorative LED Lighting can be utilized in house lamps to set
    a mood, to light up areas that need better lighting, or just to make every
    day issues easier to see. Hopefully, with this guide and
    examples on how to power 12 volt lights with solar panels at your home,
    you will be well on your way to having great lighting while
    saving energy in a cost-efficient manner.

    my page - Wandleuchten

    ReplyDelete